Williams, Bax & Saltzman at all times emphasizes risk management. This includes assisting our clients in selecting business, professional, fiduciary, construction, property damage and other types of insurance coverage, and enforcing claims our clients make under their insurance policies.
In the event of a claim or loss, our attorneys will guide you through the sometimes confusing and difficult process of obtaining insurance coverage you purchased to defend claims, pay or settle any liability, restore damaged or destroyed business property, or replace revenue from interrupted operations. When a coverage problem arises, ideally we can assist you in negotiating a resolution with your insurer. Otherwise, WBS has insurance litigation expertise and experience necessary to enforce your insurance contract rights in court.
Representing policyholders exclusively, WBS attorneys are proficient in resolving insurance coverage disputes over claims for: general commercial, advertising injury and intellectual property liability; director and officer liability; professional malpractice errors and omissions liability; employee fidelity and dishonesty; employer liability; construction defects; product liability; property damage and business interruption; environmental liability; and cyber risk and data theft.
Examples of our successful litigation results in insurance coverage disputes on behalf of business, nonprofit and individual policyholders include:
- Settlement through mediation of multi-insurer liability coverage of construction site injury suit against general contractor
- Recovery through trial against insurer of almost 1.0 million in trademark/slogan infringement and false advertising suit defense costs for international manufacturer- distributor of Christmas lights
- Summary judgment for coverage of mid-six figure third-party liability claim against labor staffing company whose loaned employee lost a leg in industrial accident
- Seven figure D&O liability coverage settlement for director of bankrupt public company
- Prosecution and management of multi-policy claim and coverage settlement for seven-figure toxic tort class action against international precision metal casting company
- High six figure settlements in individual disability income coverage claims
- Mid-six figure product liability coverage settlement for sugar packaging company
- Seven figure pre-suit settlement of D&O coverage and insurance broker negligence claims for wrongful license contract termination by international manufacturer/distributor of exercise equipment
- Securing coverage for class action suits under TCPA (federal “junk fax” Act) and Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Act violations
- Insurers’ capitulation in suits for defense and liability coverage for breach of fiduciary duty claims against condominium Association directors and property managers
- Pre-suit coverage settlement of mid-six figure fire damage claim for condominium Association
- Favorable resolution of potential rescission of eight-figure life insurance policy
- Favorable trial ruling denying workers compensation insurer $350,000 retrospective premium assessment against airport limousine dispatch company